We’re gearing up for VIEW Conference 2018, which brings top professionals to Italy for a week of talks, presentations, and workshops covering computer graphics, interactive and immersive storytelling, animation, visual effects, games, and virtual, augmented and mixed reality. For the first time, Cinefex will be at the event, reporting on the proceedings and catching up with our friends in the industry.
Conference director Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez has just announced the latest speakers, workshops and masterclasses, plus the event’s venue – the newly restored Officine Grandi Riparazioni (OGR), a late-19th century industrial building that now houses a 20,000 square meter Innovation Hub and Arts Center. The full program for the digital media conference – which takes place in Torino, Italy, October 22 to 26, 2018 – is now available online at the VIEW Conference website.
Joining the list of previously announced speakers at VIEW 2018 are Rodeo FX visual effects supervisor Thomas Hullin presenting the company’s work on Game of Thrones, RISE executive visual effects producer Florian Gellinger discussing Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Weta Digital’s head of R&D Paolo Emilio Selva talking technology innovations at Weta. In addition, DNEG’s animation director Troy Saliba and digital effects supervisor AharonBourland will be peeling back the skin of Venom.
VIEW Conference will also showcase the European premiere of SIGGRAPH’s 2018 Computer Animation Festival and the Italian premiere of La Noria with Director Carlos Baena during its digital movie festival, VIEWFEST, 19-21 October, plus a special “Women in Animation” panel featuring Paramount Animation president Mireille Soria, Cartoon Saloon creative director Nora Twomey, Pixar director of photography Danielle Feinberg, and LAIKA storyboard artist Emanuela Cozzi.
Keynote presenters for VIEW 2018 include five Oscar winners: composer Hans Zimmer, ILM visual effects supervisor Dennis Muren, senior vice president of creative strategy at Magic Leap John Gaeta, creative director for Google Spotlight Stories Jan Pinkava, Side FX founder CEO Kim Davidson, Paramount Animation president MireilleSoria, head of ILM Rob Bredow, and Cornell Professor Donald Greenberg.
VIEW Conference 2018 workshop highlights
- “The Humor of Buster Keaton” – David Misch, producer, stand-up comedian and screenwriter
- “Visual Storytelling: All the Story Nuggets You Didn’t Know You Were Seeing” – Danielle Feinberg, director of photography, Coco, Pixar
- “Smallfoot: A Big Myth – Understanding Explained” – Karl Herbst, visual effects supervisor, Sony Pictures Imageworks
- “Making Characters Great Again” – Mike Ford, visual effects supervisor, Sony Pictures Imageworks
- “A Graphic Look at Animation Posing and Staging” – Troy Saliba, animation supervisor, DNEG
VIEW Conference 2018 masterclass highlights
- “Designing the Monster” – Glen McIntosh, animation supervisor, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, ILM
- “Art Directing with Vision and Purpose for Games” – Henry LaBounta, senior art director, Electronic Arts
- “Visual Effects for Computer Animation” – Bill Watral, visual effects supervisor, Incredibles 2, Pixar Animation Studios
- “The Comprehensive Art of the Elaborate Storyboard” – Emanuela Cozzi, storyboard artist, Laika
- “Character Walks” – Alex Williams, head of animation, Escape Studios
- “Post-production in 2D Animation” – Marino Guarnieri, director
- “Compositing Visual Effects in 2D Animation” – Marino Guarnieri, director
- “CG Cartoony Animation” – Simone Giampaolo, animation director, Aardman Animation
- “Acquiring and Lighting a Backplate for Visual Effects” – Daniel Shutt, 3D teacher, Escape Studios
- “Immersive Sound for Virtual Reality” – Gianni Ricciardi, audio director WANT Musik and Matteo Milani, sound designer, Unidentified Sound Object
Studios, schools and companies represented at VIEW Conference 2018
20th Century Fox, Aardman Animation, AATOAA, AnimationApprentice , AnimationMentor, AVMCAP, Baobab, Cartoon Saloon, Cornell University, CSC, Disney, DNEG, Electronic Arts, Escape Studios, Filmcomission Torinon Piemonte , Foundry, Google, HBO, IED, IJsfontein, Ilion, Image Engine, IMASTERART , Industrial Light & Magic, ITS Piemonte, Junior Enterprise Torino Politecnico, King, Laika, Mackevision, Magic Leap, Marvel Studios, MTGx, Netflix, NFB, Nordeus, Paramount Animation, Pininfarina , Pixar Animation Studios, Pixeltrain, Pixomondo , Ready At Dawn, RISE, Rodeo FX, RVX, Setteventi, SideFX, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Sucker Punch Productions, ToVR, Unidentified Sound Object, Unity Technologies, Universal Pictures, VIMA, WANT Musik, Warner Animation, Weta Digital
Productions and projects presented at VIEW 2018
- Ant-Man and the Wasp
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Black Panther
- Book of the Dead
- Cinderella the Cat
- Crow: The Legend
- Deadpool 2
- Game of Thrones
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Hotel Transylvania 3
- Incredibles 2
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
- Kids and Family
- King’s Quest
- La Noria
- Lone Echo
- Lost in Space
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- The Breadwinner
For the full program, and to register for talks, workshops, panels, and masterclasses, visit the VIEW Conference website.