The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced this year’s nominations for achievement in visual effects. The nominations are:
- Avengers: Endgame
- Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Matt Aitken and Dan Sudick
- The Irishman
- Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser and Stephane Grabli
- The Lion King
- Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Elliot Newman
- Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler and Dominic Tuohy
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- Roger Guyett, Neal Scanlan, Patrick Tubach and Dominic Tuohy
All five nominees have received – or will shortly be receiving – the full Cinefex treatment, with in-depth articles featuring interviews with all the Oscar-nominated teams. We covered Avengers: Endgame in Cinefex 165, and The Lion King in Cinefex 166. Our article on The Irishman is in our December 2019 issue, Cinefex 168 and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is coming along in Cinefex 169, our 40th Anniversary issue which is out February and available to pre-order now. Look out for our coverage of 1917 early in 2020.
The 92nd Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 9, 2020, at the Dolby® Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood. The ceremony will be televised live on ABC at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.