From 22-26 October, 2018, the Italian city of Turin hosted the 19th international VIEW Conference, celebrating visual effects, computer graphics, interactive techniques, digital cinema, animation, virtual and augmented reality, and gaming. Cinefex was there through the week, enjoying a host of presentations on some of the latest achievements and trends in visual effects and other disciplines.
The event took place in the heart of Turin at OGR (Officine Grandi Riparazioni), a spectacularly refurbished 19th century industrial complex. The former railroad workshops, with their high steel-framed ceilings, were the perfect backdrop for a stellar series of talks, workshops and masterclasses delivered by top talent, including keynote speeches by industry legends Hans Zimmer and Dennis Muren.
If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you’ll have seen some of the interviews we conducted at VIEW Conference popping up online through the week. In case you missed them, here are all the articles we’ve posted so far:
- “Solo” – A Fusion of Creativity and Technology (interview with Rob Bredow)
- Hans Zimmer – Making a Big Noise
- Dennis Muren – Still Playing it Unsafe
- Dadi Einarsson Makes Waves at VIEW Conference
- Geoffrey Baumann – Collaboration and the Making of “Black Panther”
- John Gaeta – Entering the Magicverse Age
If you’re hungry for more, fear not. We’ll be posting more articles through this week, catching up with some more of the people we spoke to at VIEW Conference. Look out for interviews with:
- David Vickery, visual effects supervisor, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
- Matt Aitken, visual effects supervisor, Weta Digital
- Florian Gellinger, co-founder and executive visual effects producer, Rise
- Jay Worth – visual effects supervisor, Westworld
We’d like to say a huge “thank you” to everyone at VIEW Conference who made us so welcome, especially Maria Elena Gutierrez, Steven Argula and Rick Rhoades. If you have a space in your 2019 calendar, make sure you save the date for next year’s event, scheduled for 21-25 October, 2019.